This rich, decadent soup is perfect for a cozy weeknight dinner or a fancy addition to the table for a dinner during the holidays! It smells amazing and tastes absolutely delicious!
Cook time: 2 hours Serves: 8
1. Cut up all of the onions into thinly sliced half moons.
2. Add vegan butter to a dutch oven or pot and and stir in all of the onions.
3. Stir in 1 teaspoon of salt and let simmer uncovered on low until they are golden and caramelized. Every 15 minutes add a splash of white wine and stir into the onions. Do this 4 times for a total cooking time of one hour. The onions should be soft, golden and buttery.
4. After the onions are thoroughly caramelized, stir in the potatoes and the garlic. Then add the cornstarch and stir everything together, evenly distributing the cornstarch.
5. Immediately add the veggie stock, remaining white wine, garlic powder, bay leaves, thyme sprigs, turmeric, nutritional yeast, cashew cream, salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Simmer everything uncovered on a low boil until the potatoes are thoroughly cooked and soft, about 30 minutes.
7. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup just enough to break up the potatoes, you don't want it to be a puree, but you want to break up some of the longer onions and the potatoes. If you don't have an immersion blender, put 1/4 of the soup into a blender, puree and then add back to the pot of soup.
8. Serve in bowls with a fresh sprig of thyme, a generous drizzle of truffle oil and some crusty bread for dunking!
As a busy mama of 2, it's important to feed my plant-based family with food that nourishes, is easy on the pocket book and doesn't take all day in the kitchen.