3 cups dried Gigantes or Giant Lima Beans
3 cups veggie stock
2 tbsp avocado or grapeseed oil
1 14 oz can of tomato sauce
3 tbsp of tomato paste
1 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup red wine
2 garlic cloves minced
1/4 cup of parsley
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 cup chopped kale or Swiss chard
1. Soak dry beans in water overnight, roughly 12+ hours
2. Once soaked overnight, rinse beans and put them in the instant pot and fill with water 1 inch above the beans. Pressure cook for 15 minutes, let sit for 10 minutes before releasing the steam vent.
3. Remove beans from the instant pot and rinse.
4. Put avocado or grapeseed oil (or oil of your choice) into the instant pot and put it on saute mode. Add the onion and celery and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
5. Add the garlic, thyme, oregano and basil and stir for a minute until fragrant.
6. Add red wine and stir for another minute.
7. Turn saute mode off and add in the veggie stock, tomato paste and puree, salt, sugar, pepper, bay leaves and half of the parsley.
8. Stir to combine and set the instant pot to pressure cook for 10 mintues. Once the 10 minutes is up, allow it to sit with the lid still on for an additional 10 minutes.
9. Open the lid and give it a stir. Then add the remaining parsley and the cup of chopped kale, Swiss chard or whichever greens you prefer.
10. Serve with rice, pita, steamed veggies or just on its own!
I am always looking for amazing recipes for the instant pot and I find it so hard to find a variety of vegan instant pot recipes, so this is my new challenge: to come up with easy and healthy instant pot recipes that the whole family wants to eat. These beans turned out so delicious and I love that they were imported straight from Greece! I also love to support a local business like Fig Mediterranean Deli in Victoria, BC. They have so many interesting and authentic mediterranean dishes and products. If you ever find yourself on Vancouver Island, head over to see them for the most delicious vegan falafel!
As a busy mama of 2, it's important to feed my plant-based family with food that nourishes, is easy on the pocket book and doesn't take all day in the kitchen.